Thursday, February 5, 2009

dan dan the maytag man

Our dishwasher is on the fritz again :( so today we had Dan Dan the Maytag Man come check it out. This guy was so awesome and everything you hope a dishwasher repair guy will be. He was passionate about his job and prided himself on doing it well. I've seen enough CSI to recognize a good detective when I see one. He turned the dishwasher on and then started talking to it: "come on honey show me some clues. where are you hurt? where are you broken? ... oh that's not good. no that's not supposed to happen. alright that's enough. i'll turn you off now." I'm not kidding. He really said all of that. Then he borrowed my phone (?! -- even gave me a $2 discount for phone usage) to call it into headquarters. He actually used "alpha-whisky-charlie" when reading them the serial number. He was the real deal. If he can't fix her, there is no hope. Unfortunately it will take 3-5 working days to order the parts. Here are my choices in the mean time:

1- keep washing dishes by hand. so far this approach has not worked out so well and has resulted in gross dirty dishes piling up on the counters, followed by finally breaking down and spending hours washing & drying them
2- buy a lot of paper products and try to avoid using real dishes for a week
3- eat out

Of course my natural inclination is #3, but how does this mesh with my new year's resolution to cook for my family more. I was actually doing pretty well with that so far, but I just can't keep up with the dishes. Dilemmas.

The other dilemma I'm facing these days is what to do about this:
Brenden started working on this 500-piece puzzle a couple weeks ago, and has left it in this state on the dining room table for days now. Why won't he finish it? He goes off to school every day and leaves me at home, already admittedly bored, to face the temptation all on my own. I'm dying to work on it, but have tried to hold myself back, but it's getting to be more than I can bear. Especially when my other choices for activities are washing dishes or folding laundry (or that pesky job I do gratefully still have).

Scott's going on 2 weeks sick now. He has good days and bad days, progressing towards better (with a slight setback on Tuesday) but in the course has lost his sense of taste and hearing. Losing your sense of taste is sad when you enjoy good food, but can also be a blessing if you have some desire to lose weight. But losing your hearing is a bit more of an issue for us. He can actually hear still but says it feels like his ears are plugged all the time like when you're on an airplane. Needless to say this is a bit of a challenge for an audio engineer. Guess it's about time to find an old fashioned ear candler.


I know, I know, I'll try to tone down the excitement level next time. But hey - at least it's a new post!

5 comments:

Rachel F. said...

Seeing the puzzle in such a state ALMOST made me go out to my car and drive over to finish it. Come on, Brenden would be love to provide you with joy and happiness.

Thanks for the post.

Annee said...

I'm almost certain he's done with the puzzle.

It's kind of like Henry and books. He gets totally excited to buy the book or check it out from the library. Or to have all the books in a series. He frequently with excitement reads the first half of the book, but then it just sits, bookmarked and forgotten. It's all I can do to not go around and finish reading all the books that he has started.

In other words, have at it. Finish the puzzle. And invite Rachel too. That will then equal time well spent.

Annee said...

P.S. Don't ruin the resolution. Buy paper and plastic!

emmy said...

I felt so bad for Scott when I saw him today. Hasn't he paid his dues to winter yet? As for the DanDan the Maytag Man - I guess if there is a horse whisper, a dog whisper, then there could be a dishwasher whisper. I hope both your husband and washer or on the mend and feeling better real soon.

Annalee said...

june is so cute. I love the phone thing, it cracks me up. James has had a couple coversations with her.

Well, it sounds like I gave you that music and such at the right time.... you said you needed a project. ha! :) see ya tomorrow!