Sunday, May 22, 2011

East Coast Trip - Day 1+

We made it! There were of course those overwhelming thoughts, during the days leading up to our departure, of "what are we doing" and "is this really worth all this trouble", but at 8pm my dad came to pick us up and drove us to the airport. Our Jetblue redeye flight left at 11:30pm. We had plenty of cushion - a comfortable walk in,

some lounging and relaxing in the terminal,

watching our plane arrive. Taking 4 kids on a redeye is required some careful planning - new "toys" that would make sleeping seem exciting - we opted for new mini pillow-pets and character beach towel blankets. And in the end I must say it went about as well as it could have. June slept on the floor, Oli stretched out across her seat. Huck slept in my arms, Brenden leaned up against Scott. I slept a little.


We landed at 6:30am and headed to baggage claim, called a shuttle, and went to our hotel. That van ride was an awesome first introduction to New York City - crazy drivers, honking horns, and all. But we made it, dropped off our luggage, and headed out to bide our time until we could check in and sleep. We went next door for breakfast, then walked over to the Museum of Natural History, then to Central Park.



We found the turtle pond, the lake, the boathouse, the RC sailboat pond, the famous fountain and bridge, and climbed the lava rocks. Huck was delighted at all the dogs and birds. I love all the street musicians - so many of them really so talented. After lunch at the Farmer's Market, it was finally 3:00pm so we headed back to the hotel.

To our delight, the generous staff at Hotel Beacon upgraded us to a two-bedroom/two-bathroom suite (I had booked a one-bedroom suite). I had heard about this hotel from a couple "traveling to the city with kids" sites, and it is amazing - great location, beautiful rooms, quiet windows. So we checked in, showered, rested, brushed our teeth, put on clean clothes, and readied ourselves for more adventure.

Around 6pm we headed out and took the subway down to Times Square. June was super excited to go use yet another mode of transportation. The kids eyes were wide as they took it all in.

Our destination was the ferris wheel at the Toys 'R Us store. Once we were there the other kids chickened out and Brenden and I were the only ones to ride it. It satisfied my goal to ride every famous ferris wheel (already checked off Paris, Santa Monica Pier, highest-altitude ride at Christmas-town in Colorado (Annee - what was that place?). Anyway, add to the list Times Square.

So while Brenden and I waited in line and took our ride, Scott got to entertain 3 other kids in a toy store for an hour. Needless to say we did not leave the store empty handed. A last-minute plea for a restaurant recommendation brought us to Ollie's for some hit-the-spot Chinese (thanks Holly!). Then a stop at a market on the way and back to the hotel. I really wasn't sure how it would work having Huck sleep in the room with the other kids, but amazingly somehow it seems to have worked.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advise. Thanks to Lisa for the recommendation to bring a 2nd stroller. A trip like this is going to be hard no matter what, with the ages of the kids, but to see their excitement and their apprehensions and to see them take in the sights and sounds and make discoveries of a new place, I think it becomes all worth it and makes me proud that we are willing to do hard things to give our kids these experiences.

I can't keep my eyes open any longer. Better sign off. Big day tomorrow.

5 comments:

yes. said...

Glad I thought to check your blog. Have fun and be safe!

Annee said...

You're doing it!! It is worth it. Usually the harder something is, the more worth-it, it is too. I hope day two goes as well.

Annee said...

PS-It's called the North Pole, in the mountains of Colorado Springs! I wasn't sure about that fact you gave, but indeed right on their website they boast about their ferris wheel being the highest in the world (due to altitude). Kind of awesome. So you'll be in London on the Space Needle next summer?!

Ie Li said...

You cut your hair! It's so cute! I love reading about your New York adventures. Our kids never slept as well as they did in New York.

Keep up the blogging. It will be such a treasure to have such a detailed account of your travels.

Annee said...

I guess I meant to say "The London Eye". Darin informed me that the Space Needle is in Seattle, which once he said that, I knew. Anyway, London has a famous ferris wheel, so that's what I was thinking about.