Wednesday, November 5, 2008

the washing machine ate our socks

I know this is an age-old excuse to explain the pile of unmatched socks that every family inevitably acquires, but it's true. Today my beloved washing machine got sick, and I paid $130 to have a guy come clean out the drain. This is a sampling of what he found, in addition to a gross mangled sock and about a measuring cup's worth of unidentifiable muck (not pictured). The good news is in the end the visit will only cost us $104.51 due to the amount of money recovered (assuming I can reasonably clean it up and a store or bank will take it). Guess I need to do a better job of checking the pockets. And now I know how to clean out the drain.

In other news, Scott neglected to mention the best part of Oliver's halloween costume: his autograph.
He asked me to teach him his autograph so that when he's dressed up as a bike rider/motorcycle rider he could give it out. He actually got pretty good at it and took a sharpie and pad of paper to school with him and handed one out to everyone. Man this kid is funny.


Also, Lisa asked me to post these links. Here are our interviews with Stephanie almost exactly a year ago:

Nienie's interview with Scott

Nienie's interview with Sarah

8 comments:

Anne said...

hey--the interviews were great and i cannot believe what came out of your drain. is it obvious you have boys in your house? love all the little rocks.

Jan Hawkes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan Hawkes said...

I love these interviews. What a great idea. I'm so glad she did this and I'm delighted you shared them with us. They are a treasure. The accompanying photos are wonderful too. Good job.

Annee said...

Losing a $20 is something else. I can understand forgetting about $1 in your pocket, but $20, that can buy new shoes!

I'm glad it's working again. I can't believe how much stuff he found. That probably means we all have that much stuff in our washing machines. Gross.

Ie Li said...

Wow. Those bills are going to need some help.

Oliver is fantastic.

paul said...

Were those airsoft pellets?

No house ever recovers from airsoft.

Rachel F. said...

Yeah that is gross to think that is what is in everyone's drain... I would feel totally rich finding a $20 like that.

Bethany said...

I loved reading the interviews and was reminded once more that I wish we lived close to you guys!