Tuesday, August 11, 2009

an update and some introspection

I think I'm discovering that I am a baby person after all. I like them all small and squishy and helpless. They are needy in physically demanding ways, but not nearly as emotionally and mentally demanding as older kids. Or maybe I've just gotten lucky with this one. Huck is so sweet and content. He eats well, doesn't cry much, and sleeps a lot. He is starting to have longer waking periods, but even then is happy to just sit in a comfy seat and observe the world around him for a long time.
I feel guilty admitting I like babies, because it somehow suggests I don't like my older kids. And I feel guilty that I'm really looking forward to school starting next week, because it somehow suggests I don't like having my kids home all day and am not a fun summer-activity-planning mom. But I do better, and therefore the whole family does better, with structure and routine and schedules. Our kids are all very good and nice and I'm so proud of how they are all growing up. But I HATE the question "what can I do now?" and the statement "I'm bored" and I hate TV noise and fighting, all indications that we are ready for summer to come to a close.

Yesterday my sweet friend Jodi came and picked up my 3 older kids to play at her house for the day. She didn't wait for me to ask or call or arrange, she just knew what would be helpful and did it. I can't tell you how much I appreciated that little break. It was quiet and I rested and got caught up on some chores and it was just so great. Turns out I'm not naturally very good at "taking it easy" or asking for help, so need someone willing to force it on me sometimes.


June has really warmed up to her little brother and desperately wanted him to sleep in her crib last night. She went through a couple weeks of really bad sleeping during our transition, but is thankfully back on track now.

On Sunday I got a surprise visit from my oldest friend, Sarah P. (In elementary school she was Sarah P and I was Sarah Z, although now we are both Sarah W). We had a great time catching up and getting to know each other again. She lives in Beijing with her husband and 4 kids - so exotic. She reminded me exactly of an adult version of her as a child. Not sure what that means, but her voice and look and mannerisms were just so familiar.


Yesterday in the mail I got (I mean Huck got) this amazing present from Aunt Annee - two beautiful handmade blankets. I am in awe at the handiwork and aesthetic and generosity of time and talent. Almost makes me wish I had a nursery to set up and decorate where such a beautiful quilt could hang on display on the wall. And the yellow one with Huck spelled out in flames is the perfect way to assuage any lingering angst about his name. Thank you thank you thank you.

4 comments:

Ie Li said...

Those quilts are beautiful. I'm so glad you've had help. Do you know when you'll bless him?

Bethany said...

He's a beautiful baby with a great name!

I hate that question, too. I once read in a book somewhere that it's good for kids to feel bored and that our society (we parents are included in that, too) has overstimulated our kids to the point of hurting them.

Now, whenever my kids complain about being bored I have them wipe down a bathroom, toilet included. That has at least curtailed the demanding (sometimes very whiny) questions.

Oh, and by-the-way, you do so many amazing, high energy things with your kids that I'd feel the same way about school being a welcome break. Enjoy!

Annee said...

I'm so glad you like the blankets. Of course it was my pleasure making them for little Huck. I wish I could be there. I'm going to miss his whole babyhood, and that's making me feel really sad.

I think the title of my next introspective piece is going to be:

Guilt, What Are You Good For?

I think the answer is nothing. You're doing a great job. Summer is long and boring, and all kids waste too much time doing nothing. If we were super heroes of course, they wouldn't waste a moment. They'd be all busy in worthy causes.

I'm over it. You should be too.

Julie said...

So cute and sweet! I am so happy you are adjusting and getting back into the swing of things...We should get together soon!!! LOVE the blankets Annee made...so thoughtful!!