Monday, March 15, 2010

how to cill elmo, 'n stuff


First and foremost, Happy Birthday Scott!! We had a great day together starting with breakfast at Joe's Cafe (heavenly biscuits & gravy, omelets & waffles, and Joe was, well, just so Joe-ish). Then that afternoon Scott and I and friends Ryan & Emily saw Brian Regan perform live at Abravanel Hall. It was our first time seeing a live comedy show and it was really funny. Followed by a delicious dinner at Sawadee with even more friends (Jacobsens & Hardys) and then heavenly chocolates at some little place Holly recommended made for a great day all around. Sunday the fam come over for dinner and we enjoyed a coldstone ice cream cake for dessert. (sidenote -- will the kids ever outgrow wanting to "help" blow out the candles?) (another sidenote -- isn't that a great shot -- all three of them with puffed up cheeks?!) I'm sorry you have to get older, Scott. But I love you all the same (or even a year more) and couldn't ask for a better companion for life.

Other family business...

image from Island Def Jam Records

Friday night Scott & I took the boys to see the Neon Trees play in Provo at Velour. (Paul Jacobsen & the Madison Arm were supposed to open the show, but unfortunately Paul got detained in NYC. Boo.). I just have to say it was an AMAZING show. I was sooo impressed with their showmanship, professionalism on stage and off, how nice and friendly they all were, and how really great their songs were. Oliver could barely keep his eyes open, but we made it to the end for autographs and all. Brenden sat right up against the stage and even got the attention of the bass player who played right to him on one of his solos. (Watch them on Jimmy Kimmel Live on March 23rd.) So great.



The boys got new shoes -- for Oliver's birthday (and Brenden paid for his own) they got to design their own Converse. It was an agonizing long wait to get them all the way from China (exciting for Oliver) but they are thrilled with how they turned out. It's cute how Brenden is trying to define his style. He said he wants to become known as "crazy shoes guy". I think he's on the right track with these ones.

So the other day Brenden and Oliver both had friends over and I look out back to discover this happy scene -- all the kids crowded around the firepit - that's right - PLAYING WITH FIRE! My natural instinct as a mom was that I was supposed to run out there and chastise them and yell and stop them and tell them never to play with fire. But somehow I couldn't bring myself to do it. They were outside, they were excited, they were playing nicely, and they were basically doing a science experiment to see how different materials burn. They were being safe -- in the firepit, fire never got too big or out of control, no lighter fluid, hose nearby. So I just stood there and watched. And debated. I finally concluded to let them go and keep monitoring the activity, and as each of the friends went home I told them, "When you go home and tell your parents how fun it was to play with fire at the Wileys house, be sure to tell them I was there and made sure you were being safe." So I probably won't win the Smokey the Bear Best Mom Award this year, but maybe my kids will give me a few fun points. (Did your neighbor's friend's brother burn his face this way? Maybe I need to hear some horror stories to change my mind.)

Huck is easily distracted while eating.

June is a great helper :)

And finally, I'll leave you with a nice little bedtime story written by Oliver.


(wait - is this a sign I should have stopped the fire activity?)

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Happy birthday to Scott, love the picture of Huck looking out the window, and love that you let the kids play with fire. (Responsibly of course.)

jayne wells said...

Oh my gosh, that story is so classic. Hilarious!
I think you were okay with the fire. You guys are the best. We always have so much fun with you!

Emilie and Branden said...

I'm so glad you guys came to the show! (and liked it) I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out and chat. We'll have to hang with you guys soon. Happy Bday Scott!!

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

my face got super burned by a fire, and i still think you were just fine.