Monday, March 14, 2011

Sisters

It's my turn to post our weekly Zackrison sister update. You can see last week's on Christine's blog. I'm loving this way of keeping in touch and getting a glimpse into each others every day lives.


Sarah
Last week:
I failed on my goals big time last week. Didn't feed the ducks, didn't make it to yoga even once, didn't plan our east coast trip, and skipped out on my rooftop planning meeting. But I did buy those shoes, so at least I can feel good about that.
  • We pulled off a fun birthday celebration for Scott, complete with Oreo Stuff ice cream cake and a new BMX bike (maybe just a little aging-denial?). Dinner at the Tree Room felt a little more grown up, though.
  • We also went to an amazing house concert on Thursday night
  • Enjoyed a surprise visit from Uncle Brett
  • Pulled together information for our accountant to do our taxes (uhhhh.... I have 3 sibilings who do taxes professionally, don't I?)
  • made lots of spreadsheets as I did after-tour financial reconciliation
This week:
  • yoga - let's say 2x
  • plan east coast trip
  • send out checks and tshirts to lower lighters from tour
  • rooftop planning meeting - can't skip this one. Time to announce the series and start promoting our first concert in May
  • swimming lessons for June, Oliver & Brenden


Annee

The week went by with nary a photo of myself. I could only document the fact that I was wearing flip flops and a knit skirt all day long today because it was 78 degrees! Other than the fact that I need a pedicure in a bad way, I couldn’t be more pleased to welcome the return of Spring. I hope it’s really here.

On the agenda last week:
  1. Celebrate spring break with Darin. It was awesome. We went to about five different malls. Had lunch dates 3 out of the 5 days he had off. Went to an afternoon matinee. And ran together everyday but one! Other than the fact that we worked together like crazed tornadoes every morning to get our kids out the door to school, it was almost like being on vacation together. The next best thing. I’m counting down already for spring break 2012.
  2. Ran five times! Although my longest run was only 7 miles, such that my total weekly mileage isn’t tremendous, there is something to be said of consistency. I hope. Next race, Tar Heel 10-miler on April 9th http://www.tarheel10miler.com/. It’s great to have a goal.
  3. Hosted sister-in-law Ie Li and her three little ones. On the agenda was sewing together, making food together, playing with kids together, and an early spring tour of Duke Gardens. It was lovely. We hope they’ll come again soon.

On the agenda this week:
  1. Maybe I should substitute teach again. I think the Bernina fund is not growing as rapidly as it should be. Please see agenda item #1 from last week.
  2. Another 10 mile long run. Or should it be 12? Either way, more mileage for this week.
  3. Come up with a dish to cook for cooking club night. The theme is fresh herbs. Does anyone have any great ideas? I’m thinking Pesto. Delicious.


Ie Li
Last week's agenda
  • kids' swimming and preschool
  • no P90X
  • I attended a family finance/emergency preparedness Relief Society meeting
  • I drove safely to and from North Carolina to visit Annee and family. Activities included going to the nearby park, frolicking in the gardens at Duke, eating frozen yogurt, sewing and almost finishing a dress for Mei Li, backing into Annee's car (no damage, thank goodness), losing my keys as I was packing the car to leave, and calling a locksmith to make me a new key. Needless to say, there were moments when I felt like a hot mess. But overall, we had a grand time with wonderful people, and I want to do it again (without feeling like a hot mess). Thank you, Annee!
  • I came home to a clean house and my Steve on Saturday night, and on Sunday we enjoyed some much needed family time.


This week's agenda
  • Go grocery shopping with coupons
  • 6 (!) P90X workouts
  • kids' swimming and preschool
  • Friday girls' night in/boys' night out
  • a Saturday night date with Steve



Rachel




Last week I:

  • Worked. I really can't think of anything else that I did. Worked late each night, came home with only enough time to go to bed. Even Saturday I didn't really accomplish anything other than sleeping, working (and watching 20 minutes of some Charlie Sheen interview. That guy is NUTS)... This spring, I'm working for the second year on many of the same clients. It's fun to see how much I've improved, catching issues I didn't see last year, and trying to do them faster than I did before. I'm proud of myself for progressing and yet I know there is still more for me to learn. That's a good feeling.
  • I tested out this hair tutorial and wore these fun twisty buns to work one day. It was really easy and I think it ended up being pretty cute!

This week:
  • I'd like to bring treats to the March Madness work party on Friday. But what should I make??
  • Are any of you going to make a green meal on Thursday? I loved it the couple times mom did that growing up.
  • I'm participating in this March Madness Crock Pot challenge. Which means I need to cook two crock pot recipes during the week, compare and pick a winner. The winning recipes advance to the next round until one is crowned the grand champion. Sounds neat right? I hope it's fun.
  • We will watch the BYU basketball game on Thursday and then (hopefully) again on Saturday.
  • Uh most of those relate to food... so I'll also be running 7 miles on Saturday on the beautiful trail by our house (preparing for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in a couple weeks). I also plan to run home from the office 2 other nights.

Christine


Sorry I'm late getting this to you. I had a big assignment to get done last night.

Last week:
  • Ice fishing!
  • Breakfast at Communal with Beth, Addie and Hillary (I may need to request a family breakfast there when everyone is in town in April, it was delicious!)
  • Lunch at Station 22 with Hillary and Scott (didn't quite make my goal of not eating out, but I only ate out twice, which is actually a good improvement for me. This is another great place we can all try together!)
  • Indexed 790 names (I kind of have an addictive personality - I single handedly got my FHE group into second place in our indexing competition after being in last place the week before.)
  • Played a lot of games of Words With Friends (like I said, I kind of have an addictive personality, can be used for good or bad)

This week:
  • Hopefully finally make it back to yoga since I didn't last week
  • Grade more Jr. Core exams
  • Take one exam and study for two next week
  • Snowshoeing??


12 comments:

Rachel F. said...

Um Christine, 2 things I love about that photo. 1 - The Arrowhead, 2 - seeing our JCREW rainboots get some use. Were your feet freezing? P.S. who took that pic? Their camera looks fancy.

Rachel F. said...

Sarah - totally cute picture! Even though your face looks like someone is kinda making fun of you for taking it. Apparently I also need a gold watch after seeing yours and CZ's.

What is the Oreo Stuff cake?

You do have 3 accountant siblings who like doing taxes, but you've never asked!!

We bought our tickets to Utah so now you can buy your tickets to DC :-) We will all be so so so grateful if you come!

Rachel F. said...

Annee - 5 different malls! Haha! You guys crack me up. We're both running a 10 miler on April 9th? That's such lucky fate! Making a joint comeback.

You can count as part of your Bernina fund whatever you will charge me to buy your old sewing machine from you when you're done. :-)

I'm really going to brainstorm for your cooking club. What if you made pesto flavored pasta? I have memories of you making a lot of pasta with your machine. It wouldn't really help you, but I've been meaning to try IeLi's Red Pesto Ravioli's for a while.

http://frontporchswingin.blogspot.com/2010/03/red-pesto-ravioli.html

Rachel F. said...

Ie Li - are you going to try couponing?? I'm curious to hear how it goes!

My friend just got 64 packs of gushers for $2. Which is great, except now she has 64 packs of gushers. I mean right?

We've been totally taking advantage of the fuel rewards from Giant. This week we got 70 cents per gallon off, which is a total savings of $24.50. That's real money!

Annee said...

Oh my gosh! CZ went ice fishing?! I wouldn't even know where to begin with that activity. How would I get on the ice? What chair would I bring to sit on, and not crash through the ice in? But you, you ended up looking like an ice fishing model, like maybe you do that every weekend. Do you?

Ie Li, you were not a hot mess. Although losing the keys, in retrospect ONLY, is kind of funny. I felt your pain in the moment. But even then, you handled it beautifully! Come anytime, chaos and all.

Sarah, there is never a dull moment at the Wiley house. It sounds as if you are managing no less than 4500 things all at once! But swimming lessons for Brenden and Oliver? What's that for? Do they want to do that?

Rachel, your hair-do is awesome. If I hadn't just cut mine all off, I'd go follow that tutorial. And all those cooking contests sound super fun. Kind of more fun that taxes. But feeling like you are getting better at your job from year to year is really great. How about the pork tenderloin with the brown sugar and salsa? Serve it on fresh tortillas with the cilantro ranch sauce. You really might win with it!

That's an interesting idea to sell my machine. That probably would bridge the gap. But I kind of thought I might need to keep it for my little girls to learn on. I can help you find a great machine for about $200. It will be better than my old one anyway. You should totally have a sewing machine!!!

Annee said...

P.S. Darin was in hot pursuit of a new suit last week. That was a lot more work than at first we thought it would be. I believe three of those malls we hit in just one day. That may sound fun at first, but when you are arriving at your third mall, you kind of wish you weren't.

Great news. He found a suit. He looked smashing on Sunday!

Rachel F. said...

That's true, you should definitely have one that you're not worried about letting them use. Some kids in 4-H start sewing at like age 7. Are you going to help them do that?? That would be awesome.

I am really close to being willing to buy a sewing machine. Super close. Maybe if I get a bonus this summer. Or, do I qualify for a graduation present through Ken's finishing law school? ;-)

Rachel F. said...

Ah suit shopping... makes sense.

sarah said...

4-H? What a random reference.

Oreo Stuff cake was from Coldstone. Couldn't resist. I think the frosting was "stuff" and the rest was just cookie&cream cake. Delish.

What are your dates for April, Rachel? Do you need a place to stay?

I don't know why I signed the boys up for swimming lessons. Maybe because I don't think we ever did a good job of it in the past, so I'm trying to make up for it now. I sure wish they were the slightest bit interested in joining a swim team. That's the only way to really improve your skills.

Ie Li I don't even know what to say about the whole losing your keys thing. I'm sure anyone would have been a hot mess in that situation and that you were willing to cut your loses and have new key made and still drive back that day shows you had plenty of wits about you. For your own sanity, I sure hope the old keys never show up.

Annee - all that mall shopping and dining with Darin sans kids sounds like a dream. As does your beautiful weather. Which model Bernina do you have your eye on?

Christine - so you finally tried Station 22? What did you think? I need to go there.

Rachel F. said...

Our dates are April 21-25, and yes we need a place to stay. Is your house available? That would be so fun.

Does anyone know who started Station 22? Is it going to last or go the way of Angels of Philly?

Ie Li said...

I have just started the couponing thing. So far I haven't bought anything I don't need or won't use. I don't use them for food because I'm kind of picky about that stuff. CVS has extra care bucks that you can earn with the purchase of certain items. It's like a gift card. I have about $27 that I plan to use for diapers. I don't know how long the couponing will last. It just sounded like a fun challenge.

I found my keys in an obscure pocket of my purse and I swear I looked through my purse five times. Ridiculous. I guess it's always good to have an extra key.

Sarah and Christine, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't exercise last week. Our Utah dates are April 20-25. I assume we're staying with your mom, but maybe we should double check?

Annee, my trip home was only six hours, and that included a stop for dinner and nursing. The red pesto does have some fresh thyme in it if that counts. Thanks for being such a good hostess. We had a great time.

Rachel, I love your hair. I should try it now that my hair is long-ish. It sounds like you're doing a great job at work. You can do it!

Christine, your picture is beautiful. Does this mean that your Utah bucket list has one less item on it? Breakfast at Communal sounds great.

Ie Li said...

4-H came up in a conversation with Annee last week. Mostly, I just made this comment because I forgot to check the box for follow up comments.