Wednesday, June 18, 2008

a horticultural update

Since I know you are all dying to know how our plants are doing, here is an update.

I. The Lemon Tree

Remember how sad I was about my poor struggling lemon tree? And it got worse. Leaves continued to fall until we were down to about 5. But I held out hope. I kept watering it and sending it well wishes. I gave it a bleach bath to kill the root rot and then I replaced the soil - laying a layer of stones on the bottom and then using peat moss for better drainage. Then I wished and hoped some more, put it outside for some serious sun therapy, and look at it now.


Look closer (you might need to click on it to blow it up)...

Yep! Those are new leaves and new lemons and new flower buds! It's alive! It's making a come back. I can't tell you how excited I am.


II. The Vegetable Garden

Our garden starts continue to grow on our dining room table. I continue to be amazed watching how nature works. I am still holding out hope that we might actually have a garden plot to put them in one of these days. We have a rock wall built and gave the go-ahead to the landscaper, but nothing's really happened yet.




III. "It looks like a nursery blew up in our front yard"












These were Scott's words when we pulled into the driveway on our way home from our beach week. EVERYTHING IS IN BLOOM! It is gorgeous but a little overwhelming and frankly a little embarrassing when compared to the rest of the neighborhood.

Case in point... our nextdoor neighbor's house:

And to top it all off our big pots were delivered from the greenhouse (where they've been incubating for the past couple months) and they are overflowing with even more colorfullness. The only down side is there's a ton of work to do all at once staking, trimming, weeding, spraying, dead-heading, and most especially, as I've been trying to teach June, remembering to stop and smell the roses. But it's worth it!


In other news...
Scott and I are heading off tomorrow on a long-overdue (1 year and 1 month, to be exact) 10-year anniversary celebration vacation. We're going to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival to enjoy a little outdoor entertainment by the likes of Ryan Adams, Swell Season, Ani DiFranco, and many more. Oh and hopefully we'll fit in some hacky sack and braiding with fellow festivarians. The kids will be in capable hands with Grandma Z (all cured!) and Aunts Rachel & Christine. Can't wait!

11 comments:

Annalee said...

Ya for the lemon tree. What great news. Your yard is beautiful!

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Wow. Talk about a green thumb. It is in fact so green that you can even grow a vegetable garden on your dining room table. Look at that yard and so proud of the lemon tree comeback.

Annee said...

That does not look like a landscape that is only one year old. Congratulations. I swear plants grow where they are wanted. Beautiful!!

Karin said...

i'm very happy for the lemon tree and you've inspired me not to be "that" neighbor...

Bethany said...

Sarah, I love it! What great successes (especially the lemon tree -- how wonderful!)!! I'm also very excited about your vegetables, and your front yard it beautiful! (It's your neighbors who should be embarrassed. Unless, of course, their lives are like mine. Then it's perfectly excusable.) I can't wait to see it in person!

sarah said...

Hey Bethany! Does that mean you're coming to town sometime soon?! We'd love to see you guys!

Ie Li said...

Your garden looks beautiful and I'm so pleased that you've resurrected your lemon tree.

paul said...

what i wanna hear is the horticultural update from your time among the smelly hippies of Telluride.

sarah said...

oh yes there is plenty of horticulture among the hippies.

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

your neighbors need to get with it!

i am in town...you and Scott up for a little rock band?

enjoy your trip

emmy said...

Oh I am sure you are the envy of all the street. Have your next door neighbors started the underground tunnel off the bathroom yet? Watch out, you may come home from vacation and they have moved in. Your yard is beautiful! I am so impressed.