Friday, May 8, 2009

not much to show for a month gone by

So the trouble with having great photographers in the family is that you tend to leave the camera work up to them, and hence we have little to show for our week in California for Spring Break. If we're lucky, Steph might post more photos here so be on the lookout. Suffice it to say we had a great time just hanging out. No major plans or outings. Just cousins, grandparents, puppies, ball games, BBQs, birthdays, and bike riding. The drive out was fine, back was worse. Unfortunately we never made it out for the Montrose Cristo (I know, Paul&Ryan, unforgiveable), but we did get to try the great new Vietnamese place in Montrose.

The next day after we returned from CA our out-of-town guests started to arrive. We got to host them, but they were actually here for Rachel's graduation from the BYU Marriott School of Management with her Masters in Accountancy (I'm just bragging a little). We had such a great time with Steve & Ie Li & family here, as well as Mom & Dad and Uncle Zack.




















In typical Zackrison family reunion fashion, the weekend was complete with late night talking, game playing, lots (and lots and lots) of great food, house hunting with Mom & Dad, and great cousin bonding. We missed Annee terribly (the only missing sibling) and admired her restraint to not just hop on a 20-hour flight to be here too. Once again, Rachel and Ie Li are both notoriously avid photographers, so my camera did not come out much. Check here and here for more photos of the weekend.

Having house guests is always a good incentive to try to complete some projects I've had in mind.









This time I worked on these mini-silhouettes, inspired both by modern trends and traditional details. I saw these mini round ones on the mantle of the White House in the (highly recommended) John Adams series.

Now life is back to "normal" and the kids are finishing up their school year and enthusiastically anticipating the opening of Seven Peaks (ugh!). Scott is busy at work these days, with some pretty cool projects on the horizon.

I'm 26 weeks along now, and my belly continues to grow faster than with any of my other pregnancies, and my body is starting to complain a bit in the way of aches and pains and shortness of breath, etc, etc, etc. I'm trying hard not to get too depressed yet, as I still have the longest, hottest months of summer ahead of me. But I am starting to get excited too -- pulling out the old baby boy clothes, seeing newborns and imagining my own.

June is starting to get interested in the concept of a baby in my tummy. Oliver is excited to be the baby's stylist. Brenden still doesn't have much to say about it. We're still unsettled on the name. Might have to come down to a coin toss.









I'll leave you with some awesome footage shot by Oliver which I found on the camera today. He's trying hard to try to come up with something to send to America's Funniest Home Videos. We'll keep working on it.




10 comments:

Anne said...

sy about peed his pants watching oliver's videos...especially the second one. he must get that from his father. i've never seen you behave that way! love the mantle.

Bethany said...

I love your silhouettes. And I love that you did a "TBD" one.

Rachel F. said...

OH MY GOODNESS those videos kill me!! I love June's willingness to try for Oliver, "like this?" soooo cute. And the fact that he captured her random singing at the beginning. great.

I'm not quite sure they're up to AFV standards yet, but they can win a family competition for sure. I'll have to introduce Oliver to the idea of hidden camera stunts... could be good.

Annee said...

My waist line is the only part of me that is not sorry that I missed the most recent family gathering. All other parts of my body are still mostly pained that I had to restrain myself from being there. I will NOT miss the next one!!

Love the mini silhouettes. I think that's a great new interpretation.

Love the videos. Love hearing June's voice. I'm a little car sick from the second one, but it's so typical Oliver that I will be sure and watch it again

Good job on the update!

paul said...

Your Montrose Cristo FAIL was negated by the cool silhouettes. All is forgiven.

Zack said...

thanks again for letting me crash at your place, it is always a great time. I'm glad I got to visit and see Brenden's baseball practice and watch Oliver on the bike ramps!

emmy said...

Good work on the hip silhouette art project...I especially loved the "tbd" add on. I have been wanting to do one forever, probably won't happen any time soon. But I am re-inspired from your success.

I was happy to finally click on your blog and discover what you had been up to all this time. I am sure you are happy to have the house back to yourself, but from what I hear from Scott - it is a blast to have your family around. Nothing like late night hang outs.

June is adorable. Oliver will forever be one of my favorites.

Hope to hang out with you guys soon.

Ie Li said...

Oh man, your kids are FUNNY! I love those videos.

The mini silhouettes are fantastic.

Thank you for hosting us in Utah. We loved being there with you.

Geo said...

Gotta tell you, that 2nd vid made me seasick!

Love your silhouettes.

Claytie and Suzie said...

Love the mini-silhouettes! Those videos are hilarious! I love how June drops everything to help her big brother out!