Saturday, May 30, 2009

Practice makes Perfect

One of those principles we learn early in life is that when you practice at something you get better at it. Practicing also increases one's endurance and stamina and ultimately one's abilities.

When Scott and I were dating and first married, one of our favorite treats to eat was the Big Ed's Super Saucer -- a delicious version of the cookie/ice cream sandwich. It was hard to find -- only certain convenience stores carried them -- and the myriad of copycats were not equal substitutes. They were huge, and it used to be that we'd get one to share and we could barely finish it, but after a while, I'd conditioned my stomach to be able to eat a whole one myself. That was a proud day.




When I lived in the dorms at BYU, my favorite treat was the grasshopper shake from Cosmo's Connection. They made them thick enough to eat with a spoon and I'd ask for it "extra crunchy" so they'd leave the big Oreo pieces in. A shake cost $1.50 and I would measure all expenses against a shake. Should I get that magazine for $4.50? That equals 3 shakes, so no. 75 cents in the vending machine for a pack of M&Ms = half a shake. They were huge and overflowing and at the beginning of my freshman year I couldn't eat half of one, but by the end, after daily practice, I could finish the whole thing. (Can you say Freshman 15?!)




Then there's those pint size cartons of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk, introduced to me by my father. It's so rich and densely packed, one would last for weeks. But again, with practice and a little ingenuity (microwave it for 15 seconds to the perfect level of meltiness) last week I was able to finish a whole carton in one sitting.




I think you see where I'm going with this. You might think it's limited to ice cream products, but it's not. Today we went to CPK and I was able, for the first time, to finish an entire Chicken Tostada Pizza on my own without feeling sick or overstuffed. And I can also slice open a pineapple and eat the whole thing myself.

What's the point? I don't know. I guess I should be alarmed and do something about this, but I think I'll put it off a little longer. This is my last chance to use pregnancy as an excuse for poor eating habits, so I might as well live it up, right? Afterall there are so few benefits or upsides to being pregnant at all, let alone in the dead of summer, why take one away?

4 comments:

Ie Li said...

Agreed.

You are so funny, Sarah. I'm so happy that the Z sisters are reunited. We are looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

Karin said...

i hear ya!!!

Grandma Z said...

You wouldn't be able to do it today either, if you weren't getting an appetite for two. Enjoy.

Annalee said...

I am so with you sarah. LIVE IT UP!! I sure have... ice cream is totally one of my biggest weaknesses. I would take ice cream over any desert.