Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How to Grease the Wheels -- BYU Style

Here's a little story for you...

I recently bought myself a new pair of jeans. (That is NOT me in the picture.)

I'm in this awkward in-between postpartum size right now and between that and the change of seasons I have basically nothing to wear and no desire to buy anything which makes getting dressed every day a real chore. I finally broke down and got a new pair of Gap Long & Lean jeans -- my old standby. I have a pair of these jeans in every size from 8-14 just to cover all the bases in and out of pregnancy and various other bodily fluctuations. These new ones are so comfy -- they feel like wearing butter. But they were too long so I took them to get hemmed.

I took them to the BYU laundry because it's cheap and close. But it is not fast. I waited 10 days for them and was so excited to finally pick them up and wear them today. When I slipped them on they were so soft and stretchy and comfy I was in heaven. The new hem looked good and I tried hard all day to convince myself it was the right length. But finally I had to admit they'd hemmed them too short. How disappointing.

So I took them back and they agreed they were too short and said they'd fix them for free since it was their mistake. I told them I don't care about paying the $6 again, but I just don't want to have to wait another 10 days. Was there any way to get them done faster, I asked. The girl told me about how her boss was sick and they were short staffed and busy and I'm back at the end of the line.

But, she said, maybe if I would make them some cookies, they could get them done sooner.

I laughed.

She did not.

She was dead serious, and proceeded to tell me how and where to drop the cookies off and make sure there's enough for all the seamstresses and make sure the guys in drycleaning don't eat them.


So tonight, I'm baking cookies.
I really need my pants.

12 comments:

Anne said...

this story is hilarious...and i would totally do it to get my jeans back sooner.

Jan Hawkes said...

What a hoot! I guess the seamstresses aren't worried about fitting into their jeans. They can make their own adjustments as the need arises. Cute story.

Annee said...

This should be called--"How to get your pants hemmed--BYU Mafia Style."

Except that I saw the picture of the cookies being baked, I wouldn't have believed the story!!

I'm really excited to hear this review about the Long and Leans. They've long since been my favorites too, but I've now bought two pairs that didn't live up to expectations, so I thought Gap had given up on them. I'm glad to hear that this season they are back up to par. Thank you.

P.S. You could hem your own jeans! You really, really could. And they wouldn't look dorky. I'm about to.

Heather said...

What an awesome story! Haha! Torri Mahoney used to work at BYU laundry, made me think of her.

I discovered that Forever 21 has some really cute skinny jeans with an elastic waist (great, huh?!) for only $12. PERFECT for the weird in-between stage!

P.S. Huck's baby announcement is the cutest thing I've EVER seen! He is so cute! Thanks!

junioraudio said...

You lost me when you said that gross thing about wearing butter

AP said...

hilarious -- thanks for sharing and good luck!

Karin said...

LOVE our picture of Huck on the fridge...
LOVE this story...
DON'T love how well I relate (but thanks for the jean recommendation. -Went shopping this week and doubled my wardrobe with the 3 new shirts I bought at TJ's...)

Michelle said...

I am laughing sooo hard at this post!!! Hysterical!

Rachel F. said...

Wow this is amazing! Who knew!

Ie Li said...

That is bizarre. Thanks for sharing the story. It gave me a good laugh.

Shannon said...

So funny. It's a good thing you are good at making cookies. :)

Janell said...

that IS funny! Love it and glad you have your jeans back!