Friday, April 4, 2008

pop culture retard





vs.






As most of you know, Scott is into music. As many of you also know, I am retarded about all things pop-culture, including music. I want to seem cool and like to act like I'm in the know, but I actually don't know anything. I store all my pop culture knowledge in Scott's brain. It's a very convenient way to declutter my brain. We have an understanding about this and he has stopped making fun of me (mostly) (well just about this) when I hear a very well-known song and ask who sings it. He just doesn't expect me to know it anymore and I really appreciate that pressure being lifted. (When we were dating I used to go to the record store near campus and try to study the new releases so I could go home and talk to him about them and pretend like I knew stuff. Glad I don't have to do that anymore!)

Brenden and Oliver like anything their dad likes, including music. Oliver has two favorite CDs right now: The Jonas Brothers and the Naked Brothers Band (which he still thinks is called the Nick and Brothers Band). To me these bands are basically interchangeable, right? Both about brothers, both on the Disney channel, both geared towards kids, etc. Last night Oliver turned one of his CDs on and was rockin' out and I was trying to act interested in what he was doing so I asked who the band was he was listening to. What I got back was all attitude:

Me: "Oilver who's this band you're listening to? Is it the Jonas Brothers or the Naked Brothers Band?"

Oliver (with an extreme roll of the eyes): "Mom, don't you know who this is?"

Me: "No, I know I've heard it before but I can't remember who it is."

Oliver (more eye rolling): "I can't believe you don't know this."

Me: "Well is it the Jonas Brothers?"

Oliver (who apparently thinks the Jonas Brothers are adults): "Well do you think this sounds like grown ups singing?"

Me: "OK boys it's time for bed."

I still don't know who it was. And I'm not about to go study up on those bands just to impress my kids. Guess I'll have to settle for being a totally uncool mom who has no clue.

1 comment:

Darin said...

Yeah, at some point you just have to remind yourself that you do NOT need to be cool in their eyes. It's hopeless, and the harder you try to be, perhaps the worse it will turn out. So I think you ended that conversation just right.