Monday, July 14, 2008

Letterboxing on a Sunday afternoon

Letterboxing has become our new favorite Sunday activity (I use the terms "our" and "favorite" loosely -- but at least it's something to do!). For those not familiar with letterboxing, it's sort of like geocaching but without the GPS component. Basically people go and hide little treasure boxes around the world, and then put together clues for searchers to follow to find it. In the box is a rubber stamp and a notepad, and you're supposed to bring your own rubberstamp and notepad too. You stamp their book with your stamp and their stamp in your book. Some people get really into the stamps and carve their own. For us we're just into the journey.

This week we followed the clues for the BYU duck pond box, which made for a nice destination on our bikes. We found the box and then tried to feed the ducks, but apparently they are way overfed on Sundays. June loved the ducks, the boys had fun looking through the [muck that's otherwise known as] water searching for turtles, I enjoyed the lack of TV noise, and Scott stayed on his toes avoiding snakes and keeping the kids from falling into the yucky pond.

6 comments:

Darin said...

Cute outfit you're wearing.

Rachel F. said...

Awesome! I just went Geo-Caching here in Jerusalem. I should look up letterboxing, it'll probably be easier around here.

Annee said...

Sorry, I'm the one who thought you had the cute outfit on. Darin might too, but he would never publish that comment.

Heather said...

Wow! That sounds like tons of fun! Where did you even hear of this? I think I need to try it!

Ie Li said...

Ie Mei and her kids love letterboxing too. How fun. And I must agree that your outfit is darling.

Julie said...

That sounds like so much fun!! I have never heard of that before...I am excited to try it here in AZ...When it isn't 115 degrees outside...that may be awhile!!!