Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the sweet sweet sound of nothing

This morning Brenden went to Cub Scout day camp bright and early -- before the other kids were up. Usually, the boys get up pretty early (Brenden first, then Oliver) and come downstairs and watch TV for a while before June and Scott & I get up. Today Oliver and June slept in until 8:30 am and then I noticed that when we came down for breakfast, it was unusually quiet. With Brenden gone, no one had turned on the TV. I decided to do a test and see how long we could go with it off. Oliver ate breakfast, played with June, watched the trucks working in the back yard (yay!), rode his bike, played with a friend -- all without ever turning the TV on, or even asking or suggesting it. It was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed the quiet!

Brenden came home from camp at 2pm and within 5 minutes the TV was on and the quiet spoiled. Brenden does all those same things Oliver does, plus art projects and lego projects and his latest favorite hobby jewelry making, but he doesn't like the quiet. He's not even very particular about the show that's on, but he gets anxious and unsettled when nothing's on. Turns out this is a lot like Scott, and he's a nice well-adjusted productive adult, so I don't need to get concerned that Brenden's brain is getting fried or anything. I recognize it's just a personality trait and a different way of working within your environment. It just would help if the sound of the TV didn't grate on my ears like nails on a chalkboard so much.

4 comments:

yes. said...

I am somewhat the same way except i cant work in silence i need music in my life always....maybe instead of TV suggest to put music on.

Annalee said...

that is very interesting. I am the same way with tv, I can't handle the noise!!!

Rachel F. said...

yeah TV noise drives me CRAZY! but I know CZ is the same way, she studies with music and even falls asleep with music, which seems impossible to me!

emmy said...

Jack is the same way - he will be playing happily until I switch off and then suddenly he is aware of the "silence" and insists I turn it back on. So funny.