Thursday, September 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Brenden!

The day is almost over, but I wanted to send a heartfelt shout-out to my firstborn, Brenden, who turned 9 today. What a fine young man he's turning into. He still has those perfectly piercing blue eyes and now has a few more crooked teeth but most of all he's just nice and thoughtful and smart and accommodating and a nice friend. In the past week a few things happened that made my heart swell a bit with pride.

First: A kid came by the other day looking for Brenden's friend Chandler, and accusing him of stealing his PSP. Brenden, instead of saying "I don't know where he is" or "you should just talk to him about that" immediately jumped to Chandler's defense saying "I know Chandler wouldn't do that. It wasn't him. Maybe you just lost it." I thought that was significant because my first instinct was to just stay out of it and tell him to try looking for Chandler at his own house, but Brenden cared about his friend's reputation and wanted to defend him.

Then the next day Chandler came over to ride Brenden's motorcycle in our cul-de-sac. Another neighbor offered to take Brenden & Oliver on a motorcycle ride up in the mountains behind the neighborhood, which is something the boys love to do, and Brenden decided to let Chandler go in his place. I watched this and right away wanted to stop them and let Brenden go and tell Chandler sorry, but when I mentioned it to Brenden he said, "No, I've gotten to go lots of times already and will get to go again and Chandler's never gotten to go, so I think he should get to go." How thoughtful!

I have a lot to learn from this kid. In both cases he did the opposite of what I would have done, but he was right on.

I love you so much, Brenden, and am honored to be your Mom. Happy 9th Birthday!

5 comments:

Ie Li said...

Happy Birthday Brenden! We are honored to be your aunt and uncle and we are so proud of you. You are such a good kid.

Love,
The SAZband

Annee said...

I hope Brenden will see this...HAPPY BIRHTDAY!!! We kept meaning to call, but darn that time change! It's impossible. Anyway, we hope it was special. It suddenly feels to me as though these boys really are growing up. Sweet stories to remember about him at age 9. We love him!

Grandma Z said...

Brenden has an unusual sensitivity to other people's feelings. He is what it means to be a child of God.

emmy said...

Happy Birthday to Brenden - such a cool cat. And man - those stories... you are raising such a little man. There aren't many kids that age who seem to have that much maturity about such things. You've got some great kids on your hands. (ems)

Karin said...

How sweet is he???! LOVE the thoughtfulness over the motorcycle story. What 19, 29 or 39 year old would be so selfless?
Very sweet. (in a manly-sorta-way).