Sunday, September 7, 2008

a little more yittle, please

Oliver has been making a conscious effort lately to improve his "L" and "R" sounds. I'm not sure why or what prompted him, but every once in a while I'll hear him really work on enunciating "P-lll-ease" or "G-lll-ass" or "RRRR-ead". It's good and I'm glad to see the progress, but I am very sad to report that yesterday his infamous "Yittle" turned into "LLLL-ittle". That was my favorite and seemed the last vestige of his toddler-hood.


On Friday Scott hung out with the boys and I took June shopping. She was great company and was super cute as she imitated everything I did. When I'd touch a shirt to look at it she'd touch one too. When I'd pick up a shoe to look at the price on the bottom she would too. When we'd go in the dressing room she'd take her shoes off and try to put on my clothes. When I went up to the register to pay she'd find a paper in my purse and hand it to the cashier. When I'd eat a cookie and get chocolate all over my face and cry, so would she :)

R & C & I discovered the Springville Antiques Mall this week. Can't believe I haven't been there sooner! Check out these great vintage finds. I've been on the lookout for a great cookie jar - colors go perfectly in my kitchen - and for a small crystal pitcher. I also got a great mini bird bath, which Rachel promised she'd blog about, so check here for an update soon (and feel free to bug her about it if it isn't soon).


On Saturday Scott had to work so we were on our own for entertainment. The boys did 3 jobs each so we went mini-golfing. Then I made a deal with them that that we could hit a bucket of balls at the driving range but then they had to get haircuts (see how this parenting thing works?!). Turns out Brenden has a great swing, Oliver doesn't mind at all picking up his ball and taking a 6 after hitting it more than 5 times, and June likes the water holes best.



June was not a fan of her first haircut. I couldn't take any pictures of the actual process since I had to hold her still, but these pics of the reinactment capture the sentiments. The bob turned out super cute, but I'm not sure we'll actually get around to round-brush blow-drying it every day, so hope that's ok. Oliver was better at sitting still, but was nonetheless quite concerned that he'd "look like a dork" afterwards. Brenden said he'd get his cut but would wear a hat every day until it grew back.


Today for Sunday dinner Rachel treated us to some beautiful and delicious stuffed peppers. It's been really fun having Rachel & Christine back in town and seeing them more often. I hope now that they're getting settled into their own places they won't forget where we live and will continue to drop by frequently.



Tonight we made use of our new backyard and played a little croquet. Isn't that fancy?! Notice the new Great Wall that was just built behind our house. It is so flippin' tall!! And it casts a glare into our house during the day so bright we have to squint and close the blinds. So that's pretty awesome. But at least they can't see "e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g we do in our kitchen at night" anymore (that's what they told us as justification for making it SO TALL, but actually it doesn't block the view from their upstairs windows at all).

2 comments:

Ie Li said...

What a lovely evening! It looks perfect.

emmy said...

You know what your backyard needs, a really big wall. Woa! You weren't kidding.

I love the haircuts and feel your pain on loosing Oliver's cute pronunciation... I will be so sad when Jack stops calling popcorn "poopcorn".

Good work on the antique finds - I love them both!