Sunday, August 24, 2008

in their honor


As a family we participated in the Nienie balloon launch festivities yesterday. We wrote notes of love, hope and well-wishes (Oliver was confused about how the notes would actually make it to Arizona to the Nielsons), attached them to helium balloons (thanks to Rachel for the mad dash around Provo to get the balloons), and at 6pm let them float up into the sky. We did it from our home, which is where we last saw the Nielsons and enjoyed together an evening of cheese fondue, fresh squeezed lemonade, and great conversation.


































A few minutes later we looked to the north - in the direction of Kiwanis park - and saw a massive cloud of balloons floating up. It was lovely and moving to watch the balloons float over the mountains that Stephanie loves so much. It was hard to capture a picture, but if you blow this up and look really closely, you can see the confetti in the sky.


Later that night when I was putting June to bed, we were listening to A Child's Prayer. I was particularly struck with how the simple lyrics of I Am Like a Star describe Stephanie and her aura and her blog and her life mission and her inspiration so perfectly:

I am like a star shining brightly.
Smiling for the whole world to see.

I can do and say happy things each day,

For I know Heavenly Father loves me.

Kind of cheesy, I know, but it was enough to bring tears to my eyes for about the 100th time this week.

5 comments:

Ie Li said...

that is so sweet. I don't even know her, don't really read her blog, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about them. I've cried several times this week too.

Geo said...

Don't worry about the cheese. Everybody loves cheese, and everybody loves Stephanie (or would if they knew her). All is well, all is well.

Geo said...

P.S. It was sure nice to visit you guys for a little bit. Sorry we held up your dinner.

Randi said...

thanks for posting about them... so incredibly sad. too sad for words. what a beautiful way to send thoughts and prayers of love to them. don't know them, but as a mother of four... i can't even imagine. hope all else is well with you guys.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I took the liberty of taking Steph's Mac with me to Utah and tonight I was looking at her blog roll. Our Wiley Ways was number four on the list. I thought you might be honored.

The package was a huge hit. I should've saved it for Christmas. Thank you and TONS of love to our neighbors down the street.