Friday, August 22, 2008

school starts, and more ideas about Texas

Brenden started school this week. (Oliver starts next Wednesday.) He decided this year he wants to ride his bike to school, at least until it gets too cold. I rode with him on the first day, but since then he's gone alone or a couple times with other friends from the neighborhood. He comes right home after school, and I have to say I'm a big fan of this new system that requires so little from me. He has been good about getting ready earlier (no need to wake up earlier, as he remains the family's early riser), and turns out he can get there in the same amount of time it takes us to drive, considering the shortcuts and traffic. Brenden is in 3rd grade at Wasatch with Mr. Evensen. He's excited to have a male teacher, and says he's funny and likes to tell stories. I just love how easy-going and adaptable Brenden is. Notice he's wearing his new shirt, which I think he's excited to have. But when I suggested maybe he should get a new backpack this year, he said no, this one from Kindergarten is still fine. I think he needs new shoes, but he doesn't care too much. He did suggest, though, that if he did get new shoes he'd like DC shoes. That was a little funny. His first glimpse of brand-name-preference. It's just such a contrast from Oliver who just got a new backpack for school a couple weeks ago and then yesterday had a complete meltdown in Target since he couldn't get another new backpack, and another meltdown at Famous Footwear since he we left without buying him any new shoes. He is my passionate child.


Speaking of Oliver... he's enjoyed watching the Olympics and has convinced me he'd really like to take gymnastics. He'd actually mentioned it a few times before, but I dragged my feet. Now that he's seen what they can do, he is really anxious to learn. So he'll start this fall and hopefully he'll learn some good "tricks."

Some of you might remember some of his pre-conceived ideas about Texas. His fascination with Texas continues during the Olympics and he continually asks us whether there's anyone from Texas swimming/running/playing volleyball/diving/whatever's on the screen at the moment. He also made a tooth-pick version of the Texas flag. He asked me what it looked like, but I guess I didn't help him fast enough, so he came up with his own design -- red with a black "T" on it. He puts it on his cars and trucks and keeps it displayed up by his bed. I really have no idea where this comes from.

4 comments:

Geo said...

His Texas is so . . . Scandinavian!

Ie Li said...

That's hilarious. I really like that Oliver. Brenden reminds me of Steve with his I-don't-need-anything-new-because- the-one-I-have-still-works
philosophy. It's a refreshing point-of-view that I'm trying to adopt a little more myself.

Rachel F. said...

Oliver's fascination with Texas has so far provided me 1.5 solid hours of laughter. Seriously.

I can't believe Brenden bikes to school!! What's next - hanging with buddies at Movies 8?? Kids grow up so fast

Christine said...

Is June sad she doesn't get to go to school with the boys?