Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10th as a Big Girl

This morning I spent about 3 more hours weeding and trimming and cleaning up the back yard. I must have dug up 30 squirrel stashes, which made me wonder something else about squirrels: do they know and keep track of all their stashes around the yard, or do they keep forgetting where they were hiding things and start a new spot? I never quite recovered from all that manual labor complete with bending over and climbing and walking and kneeling and have been exhausted and sore all day. Not sure where I'm going to find the energy or strength to do it all again in the front yard tomorrow.

This afternoon I met with Interior Designer Cousin Katie at my parent's new place to talk about some simple renovations and design ideas. It is great to have an outlet for my pre-natal nesting urges that doesn't require upheaval of my own home. And turns out kids love an empty house, especially one that comes with a projection screen TV and DVD player, so having them along for the design meeting was no problem at all.

But the biggest news of the day is that June used the bathroom twice today! I saw that look on her face and stopped her and ran her to the bathroom and she got excited and did it! I had hoped she'd be inspired by 4-year-old girl cousins Jane & Ruby when they were here visiting, but I don't think I should get my hopes up too high that it will happen again right away. And trust me, I'm really not trying to push it on her before she's ready. But this time she didn't resist at all and certainly liked all the attention (and treats) afterward. (crossing my fingers, hoping hoping wishing daydreaming...)

6 comments:

Annee said...

I like to believe we had a positive influence. Left behind a legacy if you will.

Wish we could have been at the design meeting. That would have been fun. And seriously, consideration of leaving a room completely empty should definitely make in on the agenda for the next meeting. The kids are crazy about rooms without furniture.

junioraudio said...

daydreaming? Cmon, seriously?

emmy said...

I am jealous of June's bathroom cravings. Jack still wants nothing to do with it.

And I know it must be a hassle, but I love the idea of having squirrels in the yard - I guess being so close to the mountain it makes sense - reminds me of a curious george episode Jack loves.

Annalee said...

ya June!!!

Rachel F. said...

Remember when you used to blog everyday? That was epic.

Karin said...

Congrat's to June! We need her to hang out with Anna a while...