Thursday, May 8, 2008

working the system

A great deal of our time together during the days is spent fighting, not sharing, not playing nicely together, teasing, watching too much tv, playing too many video games, and eating too many treats. I can be heard very frequently saying things like, "let's speak nicely to each other" or "i'm setting the timer" or "stop fighting about dumb stuff" or "you're the older brother you need to set a good example" or "go outside" or "no more treats". By about 7:30pm I'm done. I know my Mom fuel runs out at 8pm so it's time to get into gear to get them to bed. So is it coincidence or have they cleverly figured out that at that moment that I start to say "it's time for bed" if they'll start playing nicely together and go outside and do all those things I've been nagging them all day to do, bed time will inevitably be extended. It is uncanny how every night the same thing happens. Do you think it would work to start threatening bed time in the afternoon and get the same effect? Anyway, here are a couple silly videos from too-late-to-be-outside last night. (Note that June has pretty much transitioned now and is a full-fledged biped.)





7 comments:

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Those boys have some skills. Where is their fear? Watching the kids interact in the last video is really cute. What is that thing Oliver is riding?

sarah said...

That's a plasma car. We got them for christmas a couple years ago. They're actually pretty fun (adults can ride them too)

Annee said...

Looking at June's pants reminds me how much I dislike the final stages of crawling-right-before-walking. It's so tough on the outfits! She looks so cute as a walker! And yes, I do believe they are working the system. Stay on guard!

Ie Li said...

These videos made me so happy. I miss your kids. They play so well together and it's so cute that the boys are looking out for June when she puts rocks in her mouth. Thank you for sharing.

sarah sample said...

sarah...I had a dream the other night I was sitting in your living room asking a million questions on how to be a good mother. a bit funny, but after just having a baby I am in awe of most mom's around me. You have such a beautiful family!
loves.
sarah sample

weedle11 said...

Your kids are so adorable! The boys seem to be so great with June. We go through the same "putting off bedtime" routine every night here as well. I can remember doing it as a kid too though.

sarah said...

Hey Sarah - what a funny dream. But I am honored that you think I could teach you about motherhood. I'm sure you're figuring it out just fine along the way.

Hi Weedle! Welcome to the blog!