Monday, January 28, 2008

monkey see monkey do

Tonight for our family activity we decided to check out rock climbing at The Quarry. I'm always looking for good physical activities for the kids (in case you somehow got the impression that we just sit around and watch movies), and especially indoor activities for the winter. Turns out the boys are natural little climbing monkeys. Brenden made it all the way to the top several times. Seems like he's built well for it - agile and strong and slightly on the small side.

Oliver was quite apprehensive at first and only went up a couple feet but by the end he challenged himself to go about half way up. He was nervous and I said "I think you can do it, Oliver" and he said "I know, I think I can too." Of course coming down is the funnest part - swinging and pushing against the wall like a real action hero.














We left June with a friend and I acted as belay (the one at the bottom controlling the rope) which was a little nerve wracking. They taught me how to tie the knots and hold my hands, then had me sign a bunch of forms releasing them of any liability, and then we were on our own. We had a great time. It was fun to discover. Maybe we'll become Monday night regulars. (**As an extra bonus for us, they are next door to Coldstone!)

7 comments:

Rachel F. said...

Still so sad I missed out on the fun Definitely count me in for the next excursion to the Quarry!

Annee said...

Wow! That looks so fun!!

Annee said...

P.S. Were you reminded of the ropes course at Aspen Grove? That was more scary than fun.

sarah said...

I did remember the ropes course at Aspen Grove which is precisely why I opted not to climb myself. It's much more fun being at the bottom.

Ie Li said...

I miss you guys. That looks like a lot of fun.

Leslie said...

looks like fun. Nick and I really enjoy climbing. If you ever want to try another climbing gym there is one by south town mall right next to REI called Momentum. It's great!

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

We visited the Quarry last time we were in town with Dave and his family. Being the one on the ground really wears you out. I wish I would have had the chance to climb though because I am SURE I would have looked GREAT in that harness!