Monday, February 25, 2008

all good things must come to an end

Well yesterday sadly marked the final installment of Sarah's Birthday Celebration Week. We knew it would come eventually, but we were still sad to say goodbye to a good run.


Scott is the envy of all gift-loving wives. He shops at all the right stores, asks the sales girls for suggestions, and even saves up money in his own bank account so I don't have to know or feel guilty about how much he spends. It sure is convenient how close Soel Boutique is to the studio! Thank you Scott!


Tuesday day I got to spend with June & Oliver first at the doctor's office for Oliver's 5-year-old Kindergarten checkup, and then, to make up for the fact that he had to get 3 shots, at Chuck E. Cheese's for lunch. Although it is NOT one of my favorite places on earth, at least we got a few free tokens since it was my birthday.


Tuesday night Scott took me to the lovely Tree Room restaurant at Sundance. This IS one of our favorite places on earth and we go for one thing: the Pepper Steak. Honestly, once you have had this, NO other steak will compare. It is so wonderfully seasoned and so tender and the spinach- mashed potatoes-mango chutney accompaniment is sublime. Scott says just like how the Indians(?) have 10(?) different words for Love(?), we should have different words for food, because this steak, and Oliver's daily frozen pizza should not have to share the term. It is not cheap, but well worth it for a birthday splurge!


Thursday night, Rachel surprised me with a night out at the ballet. We saw Ballet West's Cinderella at the beautiful historic Capital Theater. It was awesome. It's fun to get dressed up, rub elbows with the Salt Lake socialites, and I could spend all night admiring the classic old building. We had a great view of the orchestra, and the costumes, scenery, and above all the dancing were breathtaking. (And it was only a little bit gay this time - the step sisters were played by men, but that was just for comedic relief.) I just love seeing people being passionate about developing and sharing their talents. It really was a treat. Thanks also to Scott & Christine for sharing babysitting duties to make it possible.


Friday night our great friends Ryan & Emily made the trek down from SLC and took us out for a lovely evening of thai food sans kids. The Pad Thai was delectable & the company delightful. Sure wish we lived closer. We tried to sell them on the house next door (we've tried to sell all our friends on that house!) but they are Salt Lake people through & through (but we won't hold that against them!).


Saturday (well this wasn't really for my birthday, but super fun and noteworthy nonetheless) we took the boys (and Rachel) up to go tubing at Soldier's Hollow. It was amazingly warm (read: beach-intensity sun, clear skies, tank tops, continually removing layer after layer down to the basics) and we all had a great time.




Then Sunday afternoon Rachel, Christine & Scott put on a great birthday dinner - featuring my Sunday traditional favorite: pot roast & mashed potatoes. And for dessert, you just can't beat yellow cake with chocolate frosting.



Thanks for everyone's well-wishes and generosity! I do indeed feel well feted, special, important, and very blessed indeed.

7 comments:

Ie Li said...

I'm so glad your birthday was so fun! We wish we were there to celebrate with you!

Rachel F. said...

It was all so much fun! I'm glad we had excuses to do some fun things.

And I'm glad you're ok with the whole "Birthday Month" thing that mom taught us since we were all pretty MIA on the 19th.. xoxo

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Happy birthday. I was thinking of you all day on your birthday- even talked to Annee hoping you had a wonderful b-day, but never actually called YOU. And seeing these pictures I have determined you are telling a little lie- No baby weight left on you at all!!!

junioraudio said...

It is a popular urban legend that the Inuit or Eskimo have an unusually large number of words for snow: dozens, hundreds, or thousands.

~j. said...

Happy Birthday to you!

I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews of the Ballet West's Cinderella as of late, but I hadn't heard about the men playing the stepsisters. tee hee!

sarah said...

I threw that in since years ago my sister and I went and saw Swan Lake in L.A. and didn't realize it was full-on "gay swan lake" until it was too late.

Katie said...

I am living vicariously thorugh your birthday post. Mine was not so good.
Happy Birthday! I love that we share this as our birthday month.