Thursday, February 28, 2008

Spring is in the air!

Listen, I've been a good sport about this whole winter thing. I mean I had no problem with L.A.'s 72 degree round-year weather, but I'm tough and resourceful so I was willing to introduce seasons back into our lives with a move back to Utah. And we did this winter up right. We did lots of sledding, went snowmobiling, snow shoeing, skiing, snowboarding, got some great snow gear, went to a couple cabins, made fires in the fireplace, wore sweaters and jackets and hats and mittens, and drank lots of hot cocoa. We did not shy from the cold. We embraced it - all season long.

But who am I kidding?

I LOVE SPRING.
I HEART SPRING.
I LONG FOR SPRING.
I ENDURE WINTER TO GET TO SPRING.
AND SPRING IS IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today the weather was beautiful so I proclaimed that the hours from 4 to 6 would be spent only outdoors. The boys complained a bit - the xbox just got fixed, it's boring outside, the bike ramp is in the basement... But I insisted and pretty quickly they got on board. We inspected the garden. Looks like the bulbs are starting to sprout. Looks like there's new growth on some of the perennials. Looks like there's lots and lots of deer poop everywhere (does that make good fertilizer?). Looks like some weeds were growing under the snow - that doesn't seem very fair! But I even enjoyed spending an hour pulling them and I paid Brenden $2/hour to help me (he only made it 45 minutes). Oliver rode his bike to Joe B's house and played in their fun yard.


June was a little perplexed and stunned by the experience. This was her first post-crawling venture outdoors. I sat her down in a comfortable spot on the grass (far from any deer poop) and gave her my keys and a small ball to play with. Oliver offered to be in charge of making sure she didn't crawl into the street if I would be in charge of making sure she didn't eat the grass. I decided a little grass was probably ok so left her on her own for a bit while I weeded. 45 minutes later she was still sitting in the exact same spot. It hadn't even occurred to her to move. Finally she was getting a bit discontent but rather than crawl over to me she just started reaching and wimpering a bit. Funny girl. Guess it's going to take a little getting used to.

So I'm sorry, Scott, but we're embracing Spring around here. I know it means the evil Summer is on it's way, but I'm choosing not to focus on that right now. For now we will enjoy the lovely inviting cool warmth complete with new growth and a slight breeze. Spring is in the air! Can you feel it?

3 comments:

Ie Li said...

I'm with you. Your post got me really excited, but it's 30 degrees over here with no snow to play in and a nasty wind. Darn.

Annee said...

June is too much. The cutness (sp?) oozes out of her!

sarah said...

Maybe if enough oozes out she'll look a little more proportionate. Something about these pictures really accentuates her substance.