Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day




I'm a sucker for homemade Valentines cards. This year I took my inspiration from my new favorite blog (it's all so beautiful I just want to make everything!) and modified it a little so the kids could help. They got to pick the paper and punch out the hearts and do the writing and assembly. I did the cutting and sewing (yes that is a machine-stitched outline around the heart). Then we put them in cellophane envelopes with a piece of candy. I thought they looked great. The best thing was we had all the supplies on hand so it didn't require any trips to the store!

When we were growing up, there were plenty of things we didn't do and our house was sometimes chaotic and disorganized, but I have a memory of always handmaking Valentines cards. Wasn't that normal? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? In both Brenden and Oliver's classes there were only 1 or 2 others who made them. So I'm sure one of these years they'll ask for the Spongebob pack so they can fit in better and then my fun will be over.

Last night, after all the parties and delivering dinner to a family in the ward, Scott and I went to Solid Ground in Salt Lake where he played a show with Atherton. They were playing with The New Frontiers, touring from Dallas. Both bands were fantastic. It was a great show. While they were setting up I drove to the mall and spent a couple hours browsing on my own and got takeout from Pei Wei. That was a treat.
I love you so much, Scott. You make my life happy and funny and interesting and complete. You are my Valentine every day and I am so grateful for you. (And you are a sexy bass player!)

3 comments:

Ie Li said...

Those cards are so cute! You are so creative and your ideas always inspire me.

Bethany said...

We were the only ones in any of my kids' classes who did homemade valentines (the cell-phone text message idea from Family Fun) -- I feel the same way you do. Messy and chaotic, but very fun!!

Annee said...

I totally remember Valentine's Day and making the cards as kids. I tried to explain that to my boys this year and kept offering them craft supplies. But they wanted to be just like everyone else and buy them. It was too bad. I'm glad you're boys got crafty. They are so cute!