Tuesday, February 26, 2008

how could I resist?

There are two things I crave every day:


#1 for Scott to ask me to do something for him


and...


#2 cookies



Today I woke up with a resolve to eat better. This was going to be the day I was going to keep track of everything I ate and stick to a 1200 calorie diet. I was going to lose those new baby love handles starting today! And I was off to a good start. I stopped at one bowl of cereal. Pulled out the raw carrots for a snack. Had a yogurt for lunch. But at 3pm when Scott called and ASKED ME (#1) to make COOKIES (#2) for him to take to his home teaching families, really, what was I to do? Fate was telling me today wasn't really my day.

But on a positive note, I think I made a break-through in my continual search for the key to good fluffy cookies. I've tried using shortening, room temperature ingredients, plenty of mixing, following EVERY step meticulously, but finally today I tried the high altitude alterations, and by golly I think I've got it. They are perfect.

11 comments:

Ie Li said...

No, you definitely can't and shouldn't resist. I love it when Steve has special requests. Those cookies look divine. Can you share your secret?

Annee said...

Wow, you went blog crazy yesterday. I love all the material! I'm glad the birthday was fun. You deserve it.

Rachel F. said...

I can totally relate to loving being asked to do things. Where does that come from?? Hopefully it lasts forever.

sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah said...

I don't know where it comes from. But I do like doing things for him and sometimes I just have to guess what he wants or project what I might want so it's always nice to know what would really be helpful.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

That is amazing that you look forward to being asked for favors. I am tempted to move in next door if this act of service is applies to cousins too.

~j. said...

Are you going to share your perfect cookie secret?

sarah said...

I used the recipe on the nestle tollhouse bag. I used real butter, soft but not melted. I followed all instructions to the T about order, length of mixing time, mix between each egg, etc. but the thing that made all the difference was to follow the instructions they give for high altitude. It has you add a little extra flower and reduce the sugar a bit. Scott thinks they are too cakey and soft but they are perfect to me.

Rachel F. said...

i should take advantage of living 5 blocks away and come try one...

then play guitar hero.

:-)

Karin said...

Thanks for the recipe!
I am a cookie fanatic, too. But I justify them for breakfast, snacks and treats because they've got OATMEAL in them. Healthy, right? Besides, with as much sugar I add to my bowl of oatmeal, I may as well be enjoying it in cookie form.

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

better luck next time. i can just picture you walking around the house with a raw carrot in hand. classic thought.

your b-day celebration(s) looked to die for. i thought about sending your yellow clogs back in the mail for your birthday, but who am i kidding, i love those, so happy birthday anyway and that scott, what a sweetheart.