Friday, February 8, 2008

Five Farewells

1. Farewell to my self-image as a blond Californian. My CADL was set to expire next week so I finally went to the DMV to get a Utah drivers license. I thought I was really bucking the system by waiting beyond the allowed 6 months and keeping my CADL just as long as I could. (We've been in Utah almost 2 years now!) Turns out joke's on me since if I would have gone in 6 months earlier I could have avoided taking the test. And in an act of great maturity and self-awareness, I, for the first time, officially admitted that I have brown hair.

2. Farewell to the hope of an early spring. Oliver learned all about "Hedgehog Day" at school (glad they covered that and left out anything about MLK jr) so we all watched last week and were dismayed at the results. Looks like we're in for MORE SNOW!!! All I can say is Utah better be doing a darn good job of collecting all this fluffy white stuff because I don't want to hear nothin' about no drought this summer!

3. Farewell to June's barefeet. June is in that phase where she immediately pulls off any shoes or socks on her feet. Due to #2 above, I have been in search of a solution so I don't look like a bad mom toting her around town barefoot. Well Voila! I've found it! These are miracle shoes! They stay on and are so cute and stylish. She's worn them for 2 full days and try as she might she can't slide them off or undo the velcro. Here's a shout out to Pedipeds!

4. Farewell to a larger than life pile-o-laundry. Yesterday we stayed home all day and I got it all done. Now for a brief but blessed moment I can see the bottom of my laundry cart again. Hurray! BTW - have I told you all how much I LOVE my laundry cart?! It makes me happy every time I use it. It's so sturdy (much stronger than it's Target predecessor) and is the perfect size for the room and shape for catching the clothes (and other stuff) coming down the laundry shoot. I searched long and hard for a solution and it was a bit of a splurge, but anything that can make doing laundry fun is worth it.

5. Farewell to my adorable vintage wooden high chair. This was a great find from my favorite vintage boutique, Second Hand Chic, in Salt Lake City. It was a great price and I had big plans to paint it a lovely shade of orange to go with my kitchen colors. Unfortunately June finally caught up with gravity and now it's been banished, destined to be replaced by some cheesy plastic contraption with Winnie the Pooh all over it. I guess it's good I never quite got around to painting it.

8 comments:

Julie said...

You are so funny.I did the same exact thing with my california DL. When I moved to AZ I waited until I couldn't wait any longer. Luckily If I ever move from here I won't have to worry about my AZDL because it doesn't expire until 2040..

Ie Li said...

Well, I'm sad about the high chair. It would have looked great in orange. The shoes are adorable. LOVE the laundry cart. Where did you get it? Steve's sad about missing a great ski season in Utah this winter. You look great with brown hair, but that must be strange to have identified yourself as a blond your whole life and now it's different.

sarah said...

I got the laundry cart from www.laundrycarts.us. It's the Large Capacity model.

Rachel F. said...

So did they make you surrender your old driver's license when you got your new Utah one? I heard they make you do that... Which means when I finally take the plunge, I'll just have to tell them I lost it.

Annee said...

I'm SO sad about the high chair. I just don't know what else to say!

Annee said...

ps. It looks like you got a really nice snow blower :)

sarah said...

No I got to keep my CADL but they punched 2 holes in it to make it invalid. I was worried about them taking it but afraid if I told them I'd lost it I'd have to take more tests or go through more hassle.

junioraudio said...

they took my license

so now utah owes me 2 things.

1) my old CA license

2) any sense of living somewhere cool that i might have had