Saturday, February 23, 2008

HATE is a strong word

Oliver is our most "passionate" child. His mood swings are extreme and he does not mince words - he has no problem letting you know exactly how he's feeling at any particular moment. Yesterday when I picked him up from school he was excited to tell me all about how a dentist came to their school and we needed to brush his teeth in small slow circles. Then he pulled out the free toothbrush the dentist gave him and became quite disturbed when he discovered that he got a pink one. It started with confusion, then frustration and disappointment but very quickly it escalated to a full-on fit. I tried to suggest that maybe the dentist knew he already had a lot of toothbrushes (I think he has about 7 of various themes) and that June was getting some new teeth so maybe it was supposed to be for her. But this argument didn't go over well. He was mad. He wanted to stop and get a new one. I said no. He yelled. He thrashed about. He threatened that he wasn't going to wear his seatbelt (a few extra sharp turns changed his mind).

When Oliver gets mad, he wants everyone to know he's really mad. Often at home this means running up to his bed and then yelling/crying loudly. In the car yesterday, he started making a list of things he HATES. Hate is a strong word and the kids are not allowed to use it towards people and generally I encourage them not to say it at all. But this time I was slightly amused by his list and I didn't really feel like adding to the episode. So I listened... and took notes. Note that these things don't have anything to do with what we were talking about or doing on that particular day or for that matter for at least a week.

1. I HATE TRAINS! They are for babies and they are boring! Today as we were driving up Provo Canyon he was really excited to see the Heber Creeper steam engine.

2. I HATE GOING TO THE GAP! He actually loves the Gap as he's figured out that's where his "coolest" clothes came from.

3. I HATE GOING TO BLOCKBUSTER! He asks to go to Blockbuster almost every day to get a new Max & Ruby (cool?!) DVD.

4. I HATE CABINS! This is an obvious reference to our recent trip to Kingfisher Ranch where he had the time of his life.

Oliver's poor, timid little friend Jaden who we carpool with was a bit shocked by the whole thing and brought to the brink of tears as I dropped him off. But by the time we got home, Oliver had forgotten all about the toothbrush and went inside and was perfectly fine for the rest of the day.

So it makes me wonder... if you were mad, what would be the top 4 things on your list of hates (completely unrelated to the thing that originally made you mad)?

12 comments:

Ie Li said...

1) I hate spit up.
2) I hate baby socks.
3) I hate being tired.
4) I hate traffic.

P.S. Is that new wallpaper in your bedroom?

sarah said...

the picture of oli is from scott's grandparents house - where much of our furniture once lived.

Katie said...

Caleb wants to know how anyone could hate Blockbuster?!!
And, Andy's big and he likes trains.
I'm glad you clarified where the picture was taken. I thought you may have wallpapered your room.

Katie said...

Caleb wants to know if Oliver likes football?
I'm loving that my 4 1/2 yr old is up this late looking at blogs with me. Oliver is very intriguing to him.

Annee said...

What 4 things would you hate? I'm still trying to decide what I might HATE?

1) Feeling overly stuffed, like after eating dinner at Melting Pot.
2) Being interupted while having a good, solid night of sleep.
3) Too many days in a row without a shower. I HATE that.
4) I HATE car problems. No matter how big or little. Filing up with gas, getting the oil changed, a wierd sound. You name it, if it's related to the car, and it's a problem. I HATE it.

sarah said...

No, Caleb, Oliver does not like football. Your commonalities with him will most likely be along the lines of motorcycle riding and Travis Pastrana. Now go to bed.

Bethany said...

If you were to ask me when I was feeling really tired, I may have a very long list, but the one (highly irrational) thing that comes to mind was just brought to my attention last night (when I was exhausted -- I had been up since 4a with one throwing up kid and one who needed her bottle, had run 10 miles by 8a, and wanted to go to bed by 7:30p, but was up 'til 9:30 working on my lesson). ANYWAY, I digress -- I was looking in the pantry last night and noticed that one of my children had mercilessly ripped open a cereal box -- you know what that's like -- your cereal box flap ends up in three sections, so even when the middle section is attached to the other flap it is useless. Well, I HATE that (when I'm exhausted, anyway). Ridiculous, I know.

~j. said...

1. I hate balloons.
2. I hate ads for Low Book Sales.
3. I hate the Provo Towne Center Mall.
4. I hate being at church with a toddler that's too young for nursery but too squirrely for Sunday School with me (being two months away from having a baby). (This last one may or may not be directly related to the exact thing which made me mad.)

Karin said...

Oliver is a funny kid! Ya know, I'm just not a fan of Max and Ruby. It wasn't bad at first, but on occasion, James (and now Elizabeth) will talk or answer with one word clues, just like Max. Guess there could be worse cartoons imitated this just bugs me...
i greatly dislike (as HATE is a banned word in our home, too)
-dishes piled in the sink,
-teething (however, at this VERY moment, i don't know that being born with teeth is the answer, either--OWWWWW
-whiners (children AND adults)
-unfulfilled good intentions... the story of my sleep deprived life
Where did the pink toothbrush end up?

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

"trains are boring and for babies"


classic.

great post

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I hate taking a drink of Sprite and finding out that it is just water.

I hate filing my nails and clipping my toenails.

I hate static.

I hate Samantha Brown's travel channel show.

But I LOVED this post.

Annee said...

P.S. I'm still waiting for your four.