Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's nice and quiet outside

Today was sort of a boring stay-at-home day since Oliver didn't have school and we didn't have any fun activities planned. We were feeling a little cooped up inside until finally we saw the sun peek out from behind the clouds and went outside. Oliver commented on how nice and quiet it was outside and asked if we could just stay out there for a while. I realized that in our family we have some who like noise and some who like quiet. Scott and Brenden get nervous when it gets too quiet and must turn on the radio or tv just for the noise. Oliver and I are in the quiet camp and are often the one turning it down or off or just enjoying and appreciating the quiet.












So today we went outside because it was quiet. Oliver and June played nicely together for quite some time. June finally figured out she could crawl outside -- but only on the cement. She's still for some reason unwilling to crawl on the grass. I did more weeding (which by the way I do enjoy) then brought my computer out and managed to get some work done (not sure why the screen looks black in the picture - believe me I was actually doing real work). We enjoyed the gentle sound of the wind chimes (that sound that reminds me of the Santa Ana winds blowing outside my bedroom window in high school). And admired Spring's first blooming Crocus. Then Oliver suggested a picnic and brought out some cereal for a snack. June finally got tired of it and the silence was broken. But it was lovely.

7 comments:

Zack said...

sounds like a picturesque day (no pun intended...) :-)

Ie Li said...

How lovely. That looks like my kind of day.

Leslie said...

sounds like a pleasant day. I am so happy that it is starting to warm up. I am so ready for spring...I want to be able to go outside without a coat.

Annee said...

I love the quiet as well. Nothing is better than quiet sounds. It's heavenly when the children get along and things are peaceful. Good to note it when it happens.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I am envious of the that weather. I should post some pictures of my view right now. So much snow on our deck! June looks adorable out crawling around.

Heather said...

It really was a beautiful day today. I love your wind chime! I think it's the best wind chime I've ever heard.

Rachel F. said...

I love that windchime. I love that mom has always put them up, not because it was cool or trendy, just because she loved it. I think that's something we'll all carry with us into our own families.